Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Under Armour's Charged Cotton Storm Full Zip Hoody


Price: $69.99










I purchased the UA Charged Cotton Storm Hoody in a Men's Small, because I bought a women's UA hoody in the past and it did not fit my body right after it was machine washed. Considering the cost of this product, I wanted to ensure I got something that would fit.

Specs:
  • ColdGear
  • Thick, smooth fleece for extra warmth
    • Soft, natural feel
  • All-weather, water-resistant finish
  • Ribbed cuffs, front pocket

Used:
  • Walking (fast-paced; miles at one time)
  • Leisure (sitting, sleeping, slow-paced walking)

Pros:
  • Water accumulates on the top of the hoody - it is not absorbed into the fabric
  • Very comfortable, soft fabric
  • Ribbed cuffs
  • Very thick fabric promotes warmth and insulation

Cons:
  • Water beads down the hood and into your face if your head is tilted downwards
  • Highly concentrated rainfall proves to be too much - water absorption can occur

Rain Tests:
1. The first rain test was in moderate precipitation - it was not pouring, but there was enough rain to warrant using an umbrella and wearing rain-boots to keep dry. I walk to class every day, which is a mile trek across a campus that is on a slope. The rain would run right off of the hoody! The hoody passed the first rain test and lived up to its billing.

2. Rain test two occurred in slightly heavier rainfall, but what could by no means be called a downpour  [there was rain accumulation on the sidewalk]. At first, the rain ran off the hoody as it did in test one. About halfway to my destination, there was accumulation on the cuff.  Overall, I was satisfied with the performance of the hoody in slighly heavier rainfall.

3. Rain test three was really a "hop in the shower with the hoody on test," because I got tired of waiting for a tsunami to hit Maryland. When constantly hit with water, the hoody's performance suffers and it begins to absorb the water and you can feel the water on your skin. I wasn't too surprised by this result because, after all, I was wearing the hoody in the shower which is not the most realistic experiment. I was surprised at how fast the hoody dried - it was back to normal and comfortable within an hour. Not bad for a cotton hoody.

I also poured a cup of water onto it in the presence of my roommate. She thought it was the coolest thing ever and is now going to purchase a Charged Cotton Storm hoody for herself.

The Verdict: I really, really like this hoody. It is super comfortable and it does what Under Armour claims that it can.  Even though this hoody boasts rain technology, keep in mind that it is not a rain jacket and does not perform exactly like one. I am happy with the style, fit, feel, and performance of this hoody and wear it all the time as it meets my fit expectations and surpassed my performance expectations. If you are in the market for a hoody, the UA Charged Cotton hoody should definitely be considered.

Rating: 9.2/10

Purchase the Under Armour Men's Charged Cotton Storm Full Zip Hoody here.
Purchase the Women's Charged Cotton Storm Full Zip Hoody here.

No comments:

Post a Comment