Monday, May 9, 2011

Meal Replacement: Myoplex Lite Powder (Chocolate)

I'm going to switch it up a bit and talk about a shake that I've used:

Price: $49.99 (GNC.com)

Notable Nutrition Facts:

  • Serving size: 1 packet
  • Calories: 180
  • Calories from fat: 15
  • Total fat: 2g
  • Protein: 25g

I make the protein drink by combining one packet of Myoplex Lite with 8 ounces of 2% milk (or water). I then add a fruit - usually a banana or strawberry - and ice if I want it to have the texture of a milkshake. I have not tried too many meal replacements.

I first tried Myoplex Lite in 2009 for the purpose of weight control. I have found mix results while using this product. It works great as a meal replacement when I do not have enough time to make a traditional meal. The Myoplex shake fills me up and I do feel hungry for up to four hours. It does not work well as a post workout recovery drink, I assume it is because it does not have the amount of protein that is needed after a heavy weight workout.

By heavy workout, I mean that I focus on either my upper or lower body during an intense weightlifting session aimed to build strength. The shake says that you must drink it within 30 minutes of completing your workout, but I usually drink it within five minutes. Days after the workout, I am still very sore and experience delayed onset muscle soreness. That is why I cannot recommend this product as a post workout shake.

The chocolate flavor is better than the others I have tried, though the vanilla flavor is great for mixing with fruit. I love chocolate so that plays a big part in my favoring chocolate over the other flavors.

Verdict: Good meal replacement, not a good recovery shake.

Rating: 8.5 as a meal replacement, 6.8 as a post-workout shake.

Purchase EAS Myoplex Lite Powder at GNC.com

No comments:

Post a Comment